Monday, November 12, 2012

New routine.

Last time I posted, I'd lost 2 pounds. Then last week I gained one. I feel like I have been gaining and losing the same couple of pounds for a while. I'm also not losing anymore inches like I was this summer. I think I have finally hit plateau territory. Ugh...

While I have been making more of an effort to use up activity/weekly points, I am still not using them all every single week. So I don't think that eating less is really going to make a difference. Although I am going to make sure I am being ever vigilant about measuring portions. (is it rude to bring my kitchen scale to parties? LOL) I also really need to stop skipping breakfast.

No, my plan to counter this plateau is going to be a change in my workout routine. And with the coming change in seasons, I think it's a great time to do this. For the last few months I have been all about the cardio: 2-3 days a week I would walk or bike the 1.25 miles to the gym, hop on an elliptical machine and sweat for 20-30 minutes, and then walk home. In addition to gym visits, I was making sure to walk or bike for errand running. So I was getting at least 20 minutes of exercise a day, 5 days a week. But all cardio, and honestly not terribly challenging anymore.

I have decided to spend a week or two trying out some classes at the gym and seeing if I can find some things I enjoy. I also am looking to add in some strength training into the mix. I attended a ballet Barre class over the weekend. That was really fun. I am planning to attend a barbell class this week- I used to go to this one regularly but I got out of the habit. I am also thinking of going to a cycle class. I've never really liked cycle class, but there is significantly less of me since the last time I went. Maybe it will be less painful? I will report back.

I will still get plenty of walking in, as I don't own a car so even in winter I walk a lot, to get groceries, etc, but no more biking until spring as I don't own a bicycle and the Nice Rides are in storage for the winter.

I am likely too far behind to hit my goal by the end of the year, as I'd hoped. But hopefully a change-up in routine will help me stay on track through the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment