Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Take THAT!

I feel better whining about all my physical ailments AFTER a workout. Because then I feel like they are obstacles I am overcoming, as opposed to excuses.

I had a good run today. A real god one. In spite of the fact that I am in pain and suffering from real bad allergies and was coughing and sneezing and wheezing the whole time.

So here's my obstacles (aside from the allergies). To all of these things, I say Take THAT!

First and foremost, I am clumsy. I trip over things. I fall. I bump into stuff. I am almost always recovering from some stupid klutz injury. This week it's a strained neck from slipping in the shower. It fucking HURTS! Last week I twisted my ankle because I was trying to walk and text at the same time. I'm lucky when it's just minor bumps and bruises.

Next up, chronic bursitis in my hips. I have had hip problems since I was a kid. They ache. They lock up. Sometimes it hurts so bad I walk with a limp. Regular exercise keeps it under control. Yoga can alleviate some of the pain. But it flares up and there ain't much I can do about it. I'm having a flare right now in fact and would kill for a couple of vicodin.

The worst ones, though. The injuries. Permanent damage due to that whole clumsy thing.

In 2006 I fucked up my back in a rollerblading accident. I fell down a hill, cracked my tailbone and damaged all my back muscles. (not to mention the extreme road burn!) I have chronic low back pain as a result. Standing for a long time hurts. Sitting for a long time hurts. My back generally just bothers me. Every day.

In 2005 I slipped in an icy parking lot and broke my ankle. Like real bad. Like until I had surgery to repair it there was no bone connecting my foot to my leg. That kinda bad. I have lots of metal pieces still in there and it still causes me discomfort. Part of why I took up running was to prevent the arthritis that was setting in due to this injury.

So yeah. I have this whole cheesy mantra that every workout is a victory. But in a way, it is. I have always been clumsy and unathletic. I'm genetically predisposed to be chubby. And I have all these pain-causing things wrong with me. And maybe some days the pain wins. But today I was like, fuck you pain I am going running. So today I win. w00t!

No comments:

Post a Comment