Friday, January 6, 2012

Weight Watchers

So this week I joined Weight Watchers.

Hm. Yeah. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

I have been annoyed that the last 2 years I've done triathlons and worked out a lot and still can't seem to lose weight. Highly annoyed. I even went to my doctor to get tested for thyroid disorders to see if there was something wrong with me. There's not.

I asked my doctor about going on medication to lose weight. I have a friend who took the drug Topomax for her migraines and she lost 20 pounds on it because it killed her appetite. My doctor seemed to think that might be an option. But she made it clear that she wanted to see me try something more traditional first. (meaning stick to a diet) She's been recommending Weight Watchers for a while now and I have been resisting. I tried it 10 years or so ago and hated it. I was hungry all the time and it made me depressed. But I have some friends that are on the plan and I've been hearing it is much improved. So I figured what do I have to lose? (I mean, aside from the $56 I paid in advance for 3 months of the online program)

I am on day 3. The daily allotment of points seems generous enough. Plus you get weekly extra points for treats and you can earn more points by working out. With good meal planning and learning to snack on zero or low point foods (veggies=0 points, fat free sour cream dip= 1 point per 1/4 cup, 94% fat free microwave popcorn= 3 points per bag), I should be able to eat as much as I want and still be able to have a drink or two at social events. (wine= 4 points per serving)

So we shall see how things go. Right now it's still in the novelty phase. Looking up foods and strategically planning meals feels kind of like a game at first. But I know it's only a matter of time before the novelty wears off.

No comments:

Post a Comment